Home Up Civil Rights? Preemies

24 weeks - Seen here at six months, the unborn child is covered with a fine, downy hair called lanugo. Its tender skin is protected by a waxy substance called vernix. Some of this substance may still
be on the child's skin at birth at which time it will be quickly absorbed. The child practices breathing by inhaling amnionic fluid into developing lungs.



Hearing on H.R. 4292, the "Born Alive Infant Protection Act of 2000"

Testimony of Jill L. Stanek, RN


"I am a Registered Nurse who has worked in the Labor & Delivery Department at Christ Hospital in Oak Lawn, Illinois, for the past five years. The method of abortion

that Christ Hospital uses is called "induced labor abortion," also now known as "live birth abortion." This type of abortion can be performed different ways, but the

goal always is to cause a pregnant woman's cervix to open so that she will deliver a premature baby who dies during the birth process or soon afterward. The way

that induced abortion is most often executed at my hospital is by the physician inserting a medication called Cytotec into the birth canal close to the cervix.

 Cytotec irritates the cervix and stimulates it to open. When this occurs, the small, preterm baby drops out of the uterus, oftentimes alive. It is not uncommon for

one of these live aborted babies to linger for an hour or two or even longer. One of them once lived for almost eight hours."


"In the event that a baby is aborted alive, he or she receives no medical assessments or care but is only given what my hospital calls "comfort care."

"Comfort care" is defined as keeping the baby warm in a blanket until he or she dies, although even this minimal compassion is not always provided. It is

not required that these babies be held during their short lives."


"One night, a nursing co-worker was taking an aborted Down's Syndrome baby who was born alive to our Soiled Utility Room because his parents did not want to

hold him, and she did not have time to hold him. I could not bear the thought of this suffering child dying alone in a Soiled Utility Room, so I cradled and rocked him

for the 45 minutes that he lived. He was 21 to 22 weeks old, weighed about 1/2 pound, and was about 10 inches long. He was too weak to move very much,

 expending any energy he had trying to breathe. Toward the end he was so quiet that I couldn't tell if he was still alive unless I held him up to the light to see if his

heart was still beating through his chest wall. After he was pronounced dead, we folded his little arms across his chest, wrapped him in a tiny shroud, and carried

him to the hospital morgue where all of our dead patients are taken."






Baby Girl born alive and killed after surviving late-term abortion
2nd degree murder charges may be laid

Thursday November 2, 2006

By Hilary White

HIALEA, November 2, 2006 ( – Two Co-owners of a Miami-area abortion facility called Ginecologia may be charged with second-degree murder for killing a baby girl born alive in a recovery room. Co-owners Belkis Gonzalez and Siomara Senises are being investigated after Miami-Dade County police found the badly decomposed body of a baby girl at the facility. A search warrant reported that there was “probable cause” to pursue a second degree murder investigation.

A woman identified by Operation Rescue in their October 23 report as Ms. Betty Rojas informed police that a child had been killed by “a doctor” by drowning after being born alive.

18-year old Sycloria Williams, told police that she had arrived at the facility July 20 for the second half of a late-term abortion. She says she gave birth to a living baby girl while sitting in a recliner in the facility’s recovery room. Ms. Williams told police that she had watched her daughter moving and gasping for air for approximately five minutes.

The warrant says that the staff “began screaming that the baby was alive.” Then, “Ms. Belkis Gonzalez cut the umbilical cord, threw it into a red bag with black printing. Ms. Gonzalez then swept the baby, with her hands, into the same red bag along with the gauze used during the procedure.”

Eight days later, police found the body of the child which Rojas had informed them had been treated with a caustic chemical and left in the heat of the Florida sun to accelerate decomposition in a possible attempt to dispose of the evidence.

Proceedings are awaiting the results of an autopsy that, due to the severe decomposition of the body, might still be inconclusive. Police are interested in evidence that the baby was born alive and that she was possibly over 24 weeks gestation, the legal limit for abortion in Florida.

Since the October 23 report, the Miami New Times published a story revealing the substandard conditions of the for-profit abortion facilities owned or operated by Senises and Gonzalez. Hialeah Police Deputy Chief Mark Overton told the New Times that an unnamed witness confirmed that “the baby was born alive; it was attempting to breathe.”

Overton said, “This isn't about a botched abortion; there never was an abortion, and the mother is not the victim…The victim is the baby, and whether that baby had an hour or eight hours' worth of life, she had a right to that.”

“Palmetto General Hospital is only five minutes away,” he said, indicating that the child’s life could have been saved. “It is our opinion that this is a homicide, an unlawful killing of a human being.”

Overton told the New Times that the baby’s remains had weighed between two and three pounds and measured about 12 inches long. The average gestation of a twelve-inch foetus is between 24 and 25 weeks. The average for a baby weighing two pounds is 27 weeks.
Another of facility owned or operated by  Senises and Gonzalez was closed by police in 2004 after the abortion of twins was botched and it was revealed that one doctor hired to do abortions there had no medical license. A third facility is still in operation.

On October 29, Overton told WorldNetDaily that he believes charges of second-degree murder will be filed in the case.